Making the Magpies feel Blue

Chelsea and Newcastle United have been regular foes in England’s domestic cup tournaments since the turn of the Millennium with seven meetings in the FA Cup and League Cup.

The Blues have held the upper hand in those matches, winning five of them and going on to lift the trophy on three occasions after seeing off the Magpies.

As we prepare to entertain Newcastle again this weekend at Stamford Bridge in the fourth round of the FA Cup, here is a look at the players who have helped us to success in those recent cup ties against the north-eastern side.

Gustavo Poyet

FA Cup semi-final, Wembley, April 2000

The Magpies had lost the previous two finals but after falling behind to an early goal from the Uruguayan, they rallied strongly and got a deserved equaliser from Rob Lee in the 65th minute. However, parity lasted just five minutes as Jon Harley swung over a deep cross from the left towards the Uruguayan, who rose above the Newcastle defence to head past Shay Given. The 2-1 win sent us through to the final where we beat Aston Villa 1-0 to become the last team to lift the FA Cup at the old Wembley.

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

League Cup quarter-final, Stamford Bridge, December 2001

Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink’s late winner in our League Cup quarter-final against Newcastle in 2001/02 is remembered as much for his celebration as the clinical finish that preceded it. The hard-fought encounter at the Bridge was scoreless and appeared destined for extra-time when the Blues launched one final attack in stoppage time. Receiving the ball 30 yards out, Hasselbaink played it toward the left flank for Boudewijn Zenden before making a darting run into the box to meet the cross from his Dutch compatriot. He got to the ball just ahead of Given and stabbed it home, but his momentum carried him into the goalmouth where he leapt up and grabbed the net, yanking it off its moorings, before falling to the ground where he was mobbed by his delighted team-mates.

Eidur Gudjohnsen and Arjen Robben

League Cup fourth round, St James’ Park, November 2004

Our next League Cup meeting with Newcastle was another tight encounter with neither side able to make the breakthrough after 90 minutes. However, the introduction of Eidur Gudjohnsen in extra-time proved crucial for the Blues as the Icelandic striker conjured up a wonderful opening goal after 100 minutes. Receiving a pass from Arjen Robben on the edge of the box, he allowed the ball to roll past him to open up the angle before drilling a low right-footed shot in off the post. Robben sealed the 2-0 win with a fine solo effort eight minutes from time, out-pacing three defenders before slotting past Given as the Blues went on to beat Liverpool 3-2 in the final.

John Terry

FA Cup quarter-final, Stamford Bridge, March 2006

Newcastle ended Chelsea’s FA Cup hopes in 2004/05 with a 1-0 win at St James’ Park in the fifth round but the Blues exacted revenge when the Geordies travelled to London for the quarter-finals the following year. There was only one goal and it arrived after four minutes as Damien Duff’s corner from the left was met on the half-volley by John Terry with his effort proving too strong for Given to keep out. Despite dominating the game, the Blues could not add to the scoreline against a Newcastle side who finished with 10 men after Robbie Elliott was sent off late on.

Didier Drogba

League Cup quarter-final, St James’ Park, December 2006

Exactly one week after coming off the bench to score the only goal in a 1-0 win over Newcastle in a league match at Stamford Bridge, Didier Drogba repeated the trick at St James’ Park to send the Magpies crashing out of the League Cup. Having replaced Andriy Shevchenko after 75 minutes, the Ivorian was given an opportunity five minutes later when Robben was brought down on the left corner of the Newcastle box. The angle was tight but Drogba touched the ball short to Michael Ballack, who teed it up for the striker to hit a brilliant curling effort which Given got a touch to but could not keep out of his net. The Blues went on to reach the final in Cardiff, where we beat Arsenal 2-1.