Second-half German goals defeat Ladies in Austria

Chelsea Ladies continued the preparations for the 2017/18 FA Women’s Super League season with a second high-profile friendly in Austria in the space of four days.

The opponents this time were Bundesliga runners up Bayern Munich, who will begin their league campaign in under a week, and three second-half goals gave the German side a 3-0 win.

Emma Hayes’s side travelled to St Johann im Pongau, in the state of Salzburg, for the prestige friendly with the Chelsea manager making several changes to the 11 who started against Wolfsburg on Thursday.

England trio Millie Bright, Karen Carney and Fran Kirby all came in, as did Hannah Blundell, while Maren Mjelde moved in to midfield having started Thursday’s game in the back three.

There was an early delay in proceedings as Bayern’s Lucie Vonkova received lengthy on-field treatment following a head injury, before eventually leaving the field in an ambulance.

The Blues were also forced in to an early change with Drew Spence replacing Magdalena Eriksson. Mjelde dropped in to the back three as Spence joined captain Katie Chapman in central midfield.

Following the enforced breaks, the first half was a cagey affair as both sides cancelled each other out in the main.  Ji So-Yun threatened to unlock the Bayern defence on several occasions only for last-ditch interventions to deny her. At the other end Fridolina Rolfo wasted the best chance for the Germans.

Carly Telford replaced Hedvig Lindahl in the only Chelsea change at half-time and she was immediately into the action, repelling Mandy Islacker’s fierce drive from the edge of the box.

However, the Germans took the lead in the 52nd minute when Islacker benefitted from a defensive mix-up to tap home from close range.

Ramona Bachmann, Gemma Davison, Erin Cuthbert, Crystal Dunn and Eniola Aluko all entered the fray shortly afterwards as the Blues bid to breakdown a well-organised Bayern unit, but it was the Germans who struck again.

Chelsea could only half clear a corner and from the second phase, Dominika Skorvankova slotted beyond Telford from the edge of the box with 79 minutes on the clock.

It became 3-0 in the 82nd minute when Kristin Kugel gave Telford no chance from close range after a neat one-two in the Chelsea penalty area.

The Blues rallied and Bachmann went close before the referee blew full-time on another productive outing for the Blues fitness ahead of the new campaign.