Women's League Cup: 2020

Chelsea Women won the League Cup for the first time at the City Ground as two goals from Bethany England, the second of which came deep into stoppage time, secured a dramatic victory over Arsenal.

The Blues topped their group in convincing fashion, winning four of their five matches and only tasting defeat after a penalty shootout at home to Reading.

In the quarter-finals, goals from Magdalena Eriksson, Ji So-Yun and Emily Murphy saw off Aston Villa at Kingsmeadow, while it was Maren Mjelde's solitary strike that settled the last-four contest with Manchester United in January.

With a record crowd for a Continental League Cup final turning out at Nottingham Forest’s City Ground at the end of February – as the 6,743 in attendance surpassed the crowd for Arsenal’s win over Notts County in 2015 – there was no shortage of action as two of the country’s top clubs went toe to toe over 90 pulsating minutes of action.

England's double in the final sealed the triumph

Emma Hayes’s side struck first through Bethany England, who took her tally for the season to 20 with a typical poacher’s finish with only nine minutes on the clock.

For much of this contest, it looked as though our No.9’s goal would be enough to decide the fate of the trophy, as both sides spurned clear opportunities.

Arsenal will point to the excellence of Ann-Katrin Berger, who pulled off at least three excellent saves, as a big factor in that, but there was nothing the German keeper could do to keep out Leah Williamson’s scuffed effort from creeping in with only five minutes remaining.

At that stage, it looked like we were destined for extra time and most Blues fans would have taken that, as we were on the backfoot for much of the second half.

However, there was one more twist to come in stoppage time – although there was nothing surprising about the identity of the match-winner.

Sam Kerr and Maren Mjelde combined down the right-hand side, giving the latter just enough space to squeeze a cross to the back post, which a sliding England gleefully slid home.

It was yet another big game in which she has stepped up to the plate, but this was a true team effort, owing as much to a resolute defensive display as it did our attacking excellence.

And at the end of it all, the players and Hayes – wearing green as a homage to Brian Clough, who managed at this stadium with distinction for so many years – finally got their hands on the one piece of domestic silverware which had eluded us.