FA Cup: 1970

Our first ever FA Cup triumph in 1970 will hold a special place in the heart of Chelsea supporters for obvious reasons.

The magnitude of such an achievement cannot be understated, while the fact it was our bitter rivals, Leeds United, that we overcame to win the trophy made it all the memorable.

After a pulsating 2-2 draw at Wembley in what was an ill-tempered clash, the replay took place at Old Trafford a few days later and, if anything, was even more fiery than the first game with Norman Hunter and Ian Hutchinson trading punches at one point, and Eddie McCreadie somehow managing to kick a standing Billy Bremner in the head.

Mick Jones had put Leeds in front during the first half, but with only 12 minutes remaining Charlie Cooke floated a ball forward for Peter Osgood to equalise with a brilliant diving header, ensuring he had scored in every round of the competition.

Dave Webb proved the eventual match-winner, rising highest at the far post to bundle home Hutchinson's trademark long throw with a minute left to play in the first period of extra-time. The Blues held on to lift the trophy and it was time for the celebrations to begin.

Chelsea's route to the final began in comfortable fashion as Birmingham were swept aside 3-0 at Stamford Bridge, with a home tie against Burnley the reward.

Strikes from Osgood and John Hollins appeared to have won the tie for the Blues, but two goals in the last 10 minutes by the visitors set up a replay back at Turf Moor.

The game was a tight affair and with the scores level at 1-1 after 90 minutes, extra-time was required. Chelsea's quality eventually shone through with goals from Tommy Baldwin and Peter Houseman settling the tie.

The fifth round saw us make a short trip across London to take on Crystal Palace at Selhurst Park, but what could have been a difficult encounter proved to be anything but as goals from Osgood, John Dempsey, Houseman and Hutchinson led Dave Sexton's side to a 4-1 win.

Another trip across the capital was our reward in the quarter-finals as we were drawn to play QPR at Loftus Road. Webb gave us the lead inside seven minutes before Osgood doubled the advantage a minute later.

Former Stamford Bridge favourite Terry Venables pulled one back from the penalty spot for the hosts, but Osgood netted twice more in the second half to complete his hat-trick and put the seal on an impressive 4-2 win.

A semi-final on a threadbare pitch at White Hart Lane against Watford was all that stood between us and a Wembley final, and a rampant Chelsea proved far too strong for the Hornets.

After Webb had given us the lead inside three minutes, Watford soon levelled. Four goals in the second half, however, from Osgood, Hutchinson and a Houseman brace, capped a memorable 5-1 win and booked our place in the final.

More from chelsea