League Cup: 1965

Chelsea won the League Cup for the first time in our history following a two-legged victory over Leicester City.

Ten years after the club won the league title a new younger side, managed by Tommy Docherty, had taken shape and this was their finest hour.

With the first leg of the final taking place at Stamford Bridge, the onus was on us to seize the initiative and what was expected to be a cagey affair ultimately turned into a five-goal cracker.

Bobby Tambling gave us the lead just after the half-hour mark, but Colin Appleton equalised for the Foxes a minute into the second half.

Shortly after, Terry Venables restored our lead from the penalty spot, but within four minutes Leicester were level once again through Jimmy Goodfellow.

With only nine minutes remaining Eddie McCreadie, normally a left-back but filling in as centre-forward, scored a magnificent goal to make it 3-2. Ironically his dribble had started practically from the Chelsea defence before he ran the near length of the pitch and slotted past Gordon Banks. This time the Blues managed to hold on to take a slender advantage up to Filbert Street for the return.

In comparison with the first-leg, the game at Leicester was rather subdued and ended goalless, ensuring Docherty's young side were League Cup winners.

The Blues registered a mightily impressive 18 goals en route to the final, beginning the campaign with a 3-0 away win against Birmingham.

Notts County were next up at home, but the visitors offered little resistance and were soundly beaten 4-0.

A home tie against Swansea followed in the fourth round and it was a pulsating encounter which ended with the Blues running out 3-2 winners thanks to a Dennis Brown strike and a George Graham brace.

What initially appeared to be a fairly straightforward tie against Workington in the fifth round gave the side the biggest scare of the campaign. Barry Bridges' double put us in the ascendancy, but the hosts scored twice in the second half to force a replay at Stamford Bridge.

Workington once again gave a good account of themselves in the replay and with ten minutes left to play it remained 0-0, but an emerging Peter Osgood came to our rescue by scoring twice to send us through to a semi-final against Aston Villa.

We gave ourselves a fantastic chance of progressing to the final thanks to a 3-2 win at Villa Park in the first leg. Goals from Bobby Tambling and Barry Bridges gave us a two-goal advantage before a Tony Hateley brace pulled the home side level, but Blues midfielder John Boyle was on hand to score a decisive third to win the game for Chelsea.

The return at Stamford Bridge turned into a nervous night for the home supporters, particularly after Hateley had put Villa in front and levelled the tie on aggregate midway through the first half, but Graham was the hero on the night, scoring to send us through to the final 4-3 on aggregate.

More from chelsea