It’s not just the weather that’s getting warmer. Having earned 13 senior England caps and successfully adjusting to a new role on the Blues with Tuchel, Ben Chilwell looks to be on a bit of a hot streak. It’s time U.S. fans get to know this English defenseman better.
Background & Football History
- Ben Chilwell was born on December 21, 1996 in Milton Keynes, England. (Currently 24 years old)
- A current nickname from him is “Chilly.”
- When young, he played for Rushden & Diamonds Centre of Excellence. Then, at 12 years old, he signed for Leicester City’s youth program.
- Chilwell joined Leicester's academy in 2009 and won their Academy Player of the Year award at the end of the 2014–15 season.
- Chilwell's grandfather, Guy Shuttleworth, was also a footballer, playing for Corinthian-Casuals.
Records & Achievements
- Chilwell began his professional career at Leicester City on October 27, 2015 at 18 years old.
- His first-team debut was in the club's League Cup match against Hull City.
- Chilwell was a key figure in Leicester City’s defense, and he made more than 120 appearances for the club.
- Chilwell represented England at every age group from the Under-18s up. He made his senior international debut in a friendly held in Leicester against Switzerland in September 2018.
- At his signing with Chelsea, he was regarded as one of the most established and promising full-backs in the Premier League.
Time With Chelsea
- Chilwell joined Chelsea FC on August 26, 2020.
- “Absolutely buzzing to sign for @ChelseaFC. Really exciting time for the club, with such a good squad! … A dream come true. Come on you blues,” said Chilwell on social media after signing with the Blues.
- He is currently #21 and is as adept at both the attacking and defensive sides of the game.
- So far this season, Chilwell has 21 Premier League starts and appearances, 2 goals and 4 assists.
Playing Style, Personal Attributes & Fun Facts
- With a preference for his left-foot, he’s a modern full-back in every sense of the phrase.
- He likes to attack from left-back, contributing with assists and the occasional goal.
- Chilwell combines athleticism and energy with excellent technique and patience in the tackle.
- After training, he enjoys plays chess online and talking to his family.
- He once played a 4-hour game of chess with Reece James on the way back from a match in Russia.
- His favorite football players are Messi and, in his position, Ashley Cole.
- Learn more about Chilwell’s passion for fashion and his keen eye for films in the latest Chelsea Extra Time interview.