Alvaro Morata will wear the number 29 shirt for Chelsea in the 2018/19 season.
Morata has decided to change from the number 9 he wore last season to celebrate and pay tribute to his family after his wife Alice gave birth to twins Alessandro and Leonardo on Sunday - 29 July.
‘It is a day I will never forget, to welcome my twin sons into the world. My family is so important to me and I want to honour them and my wife, Alice, when I am on the pitch which is why I have decided to take a different number for the new season and remember this special day by adding the number 2 to my shirt.
‘I am sorry to the fans who may have bought a number 9 with my name already, but I hope you understand my tribute and that it will not be a problem and we can make you a new one with the 29. Thank you for your support and I hope this year there will be lots more to celebrate.’
We understand that some supporters will already have purchased a new 2018/19 shirt with Morata and the number 9 on the back. We will be offering anybody who has proof of purchase from an official club store a free exchange, subject to availability, from 03/08/18 inclusive. All returned shirts will be donated to the Chelsea Foundation.
· For those who purchased from the Stadium Megastore at Stamford Bridge, simply return the 2018/19 Morata 9 home or away shirt with proof of purchase in person for replacement.
· For those who purchased from the club's online partner stores (ChelseaMegastore.com for UK, Europe or Africa, ChelseaMegastoreUSA.com for USA, ChelseaMegastoreAsia.com for Asia Pacific), return the 2018/19 Morata 9 shirt by post with a copy of the order confirmation email to the store you made the original purchase from. A replacement like-for-like Morata 29 shirt will then be sent to you by post free of charge.
· For those purchases from non-Chelsea Football Club outlets, the club will offer a 50 percent discount on a purchase of a new 2018/19 Morata 29 shirt, upon return of the existing 2018/19 Morata 9 shirt with proof of purchase. This offer is only eligible to those who can visit the Stadium Megastore at Stamford Bridge in person.
Terms and conditions
1. This offer is open from 03/08/2018 inclusive. Strictly no exchanges or discounts will be offered after 31/08/2018. In the case of purchases made through any of Chelsea's online partners, no exchanges or discounts will be offered for items received by those partners after 31/08/2018.
2. This offer is subject to stock availability.
3. This offer is for 2018/19 shirts only. No other replacements will be permitted.
4. Receipt of satisfactory and legible proof of purchase is required (this can be in the format of till receipt or bank statement).
5. Replacement shirts will not be permitted without proof of purchase.
6. Chelsea Football Club cannot accept responsibility for any shirts lost in transit or for any shirts received without proof of purchase and return name and address details.
7. The returned shirt must arrive with the online partner 31/08/18 at the latest to qualify for this offer.
8. Customers must cover postage costs to send the 2018/19 Morata 9 shirt back to the club's online partners.
9. This offer does not affect your statutory rights.
10. No refunds will be permitted.