News

Media Watch: Michael Ballack hopes Hazard and Hudson-Odoi remain at Chelsea, Porto set price on potential Chelsea target

In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, Michael Ballack wants Eden Hazard and Callum Hudson-Odoi to remain at Stamford Bridge and Porto insist that the Blues must meet the release clause of Alex Telles if they hope to sign the left-back.

These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.

Ballack hoping star duo stay at the Bridge

Former Blues midfielder Michael Ballack has told TalkSport he hopes Chelsea can convince both Eden Hazard and Callum Hudson-Odoi to commit their long-term futures to the club.

Hudson-Odoi has been targeted by another of Ballack’s former clubs, Bayern Munich, but the German would prefer that the 18-year-old remains at the Bridge.

‘If I grew up at a club at Chelsea, I would want to stay at Chelsea because that’s where I was my whole youth, plus he is one of the biggest talents not just at Chelsea, but also in England, so I would stay and try and make it,’ said Ballack.

‘Of course you want that time on the pitch and if you’re not involved you look around at the clubs that have an eye on you, that’s really normal. But I hope Chelsea can extend his contract. He is the future for the club. I hope he gets more time on the pitch. He’s already on a level where he can play in the Premier League day-in day-out.

‘But he’s still young and the coaches will know how to handle him. Sometimes you have to be careful with these young players, you can’t put them in every week, the pressure is on very early.

‘Overall I think he’s happy at Chelsea, he’s playing at a big club, and hopefully he will extend his contract.’

As for Hazard, Ballack feels that the Belgian’s future will depend on what the Blues can offer him in terms of trophies.

‘Sometimes you have to consider other things when it comes to contracts – London is a nice place to live and he feels good with his team-mates,’ the German added.

‘But you also have to give him an opportunity to win something. Over the last few years, Chelsea have lost a bit of the attitude of going into a season thinking they will win a trophy.

‘If he starts feeling the club can’t give him that anymore, of course he will think differently, but as long as he has the feeling he can win something at Chelsea, hopefully it’s an option for him to stay.’

Porto want full price for Telles

It has been reported in Portugal that Chelsea would need to pay the full release clause for Alex Telles if they hope to sign the left-back from Porto.

According to Sport Witness, Portuguese sports newspaper A Bola is reporting that the Portuguese club have set a price tag of 40million Euros for the 26-year-old.

The newspaper also claims that the Blues tried to sign Telles last year but could not reach an agreement with Porto.

Palmer set for permanent move to Bristol?

The Sun is reporting that Kasey Palmer is set to join Bristol City in a permanent move this summer after an impressive start at his loan club.

The 22-year-old midfielder moved to Ashton Gate on loan from Chelsea last month after spending the first half of the season at Blackburn Rovers and he marked his City debut by coming off the bench to score the winner in a 2-1 victory over Bolton Wanderers.

The Robins are currently sixth in the Championship after a run of seven straight wins which has put them into the hunt for a spot in the play-offs.

Dean removed from Chelsea-Spurs clash

The BBC has reported that Mike Dean will not be the fourth official for our Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur on Wednesday after being confronted by Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino last weekend.

The Argentine reacted angrily towards Dean after his side’s 2-1 loss at Burnley and the body responsible for the appointment of officials decided it was best for Dean to be taken off the game.

He will now work at the match between Manchester City and West Ham while Andre Marriner will be the fourth official at Stamford Bridge.

It was also announced on Monday that Pochettino has been charged with a breach of the rules following the incident at Turf Moor when he complained about a corner which was awarded in the build-up to the Clarets' opening goal.

MORE FROM CHELSEA