In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, the Blues are reportedly interested in Marquinhos and Joe Cole praises Edouard Mendy’s performance against Real Madrid.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
Blues eyeing Marquinhos
Chelsea are reportedly interested in Paris Saint-Germain centre-back Marquinhos.
According to the Sunday World, the Blues have three transfer priorities this summer and another centre-back option could be brought in.
The 26-year-old spent two seasons playing for Thomas Tuchel at the Parc des Princes and reached last year’s Champions League final under the German.
During Tuchel’s tenure in France, Marquinhos played alongside Thiago Silva, who has had a fantastic influence on the Blues side this season.
Marquinhos has appeared 35 times for the defending French champions and has recently found goalscoring form, scoring three goals in his last six games.
The report also states that if Chelsea want to sign the Brazilian, the only hurdle might be his contract situation, with Marquinhos still having three years left on his deal.
Cole praises Mendy
Joe Cole was left impressed by Edouard Mendy’s performance in last night’s semi-final second leg against Real Madrid.
The former Blues midfielder told BT Sport how Mendy has helped Chelsea in his debut season in the Champions League.
‘He was very good tonight,’ Cole said. ‘He has been well protected but when he is needed, he makes the saves.
‘All great teams need a goalkeeper who pulls them out of trouble now and again and that’s what he does.’
In our 2-0 win last night, the Senegalese shot-stopper made history by keeping the most clean sheets for an English side in a single Champions League campaign (eight).
‘He gets in the right place,’ Cole added. ‘When the back four or five is breached, they know they have him at the back.’
Musonda gives injury update
Charly Musonda believes he is on the right track after a knee injury put him at risk of never playing again in 2018.
Speaking to the BBC, the Belgian explained how he has been working hard to get back up to speed, after not playing back-to-back games for four years.
‘It’s very difficult to have three years without being able to do what you love,’ he said. ‘I would be lying to say that it’s been easy, but I’ve always known that some struggles are worth going through.
‘I feel like a fighter now preparing for a boxing match. It would be an incredible comeback, an incredible story.’
Musonda also revealed how doctors told him he only has a 20 per cent chance of playing football again, which would make his return even more precious for him.
‘The doctors said “if you have surgery now, you’re going to miss another year. It’s going to be three years of no football so it’s going to be impossible for you to come back”,’ he explained.
‘They told me the odds of coming back were like 20 per cent. Of coming back and being at the top level, being able to compete and play for a club like Chelsea, it was slim to none.’