Jorginho was part of the Italy side which booked their place in next summer’s UEFA Nations League finals, while Mason Mount and Kai Havertz provided three of the six goals as England hosted Germany in the other match in Group A3.

The Italians went into their final game in the Nations League group stage eager to put the disappointment of their failure to qualify for the 2022 World Cup behind them by reaching the last four in this competition, but knew only a victory away at surprise leaders Hungary would be enough.

Jorginho started the match at the centre of a three-man midfield, in the same role he occupied for their Euro 2020 triumph, and it was very much mission accomplished for the Chelsea man as he helped Italy secure qualification and the country’s first win in Budapest since their legendary double World Cup-winning side in 1933.

The Azzurri took the lead in the first half when Giacomo Raspadori capitalised on a mix-up in the Hungary defence and then Federico Dimarco smashed in a cross to make it 2-0 in the second half, although the visitors also had goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma to thank for several vital saves in an entertaining and surprisingly open match which featured plenty of chances at both ends.

Jorginho was withdrawn with 20 minutes remaining and the victory largely secured, meaning he can now look forward to joining Mateo Kovacic’s Croatia, the Netherlands and one other nation in next summer’s final four.

The other match in Group A3 didn’t have anything riding on it, as an England side already relegated by their defeat to Italy on Friday hosted Germany, who were already out of the running for the finals. However, both sides were keen to secure a positive result in their last competitive fixture before this winter’s World Cup.

Reece James started at right wing-back with Raheem Sterling in the front three for England, while Kai Havertz spearheaded the German attack, and it was the latter who made the biggest impact on the match by scoring the first brace of his senior international career.

A low-key and goalless first half gave little clue as to what would arrive later in the game, despite Sterling being denied several times by Germany goalkeeper Marc ter Stegen before Ilkay Gundogan gave Germany the lead from the penalty spot. Havertz then seemingly took the tie beyond England when he scored a stunning second for the visitors, curling a left-footed strike around the goalkeeper and inside the far post.

The home side struck back, though, with two goals in three minutes levelling the scores, the first coming through the two wing-backs combining, when Luke Shaw turned in James’ cross. The second came from Mason Mount just minutes after coming off the bench, as he fired Bukayo Saka’s pass into the net with an unstoppable first-time effort after the Arsenal man had been found by James.

Incredibly, England then took the lead themselves after a VAR review awarded the Three Lions a penalty, which was tucked away by Harry Kane with seven minutes left. There was one more twist to come, though, as Havertz reacted quickest when England goalkeeper Nick Pope couldn’t hold Serge Gnabry’s shot, slotting in to equalise in the 87th minute and make the final score 3-3, after a frantic finish at Wembley.

Earlier in the day, England Under-18s had faced Belgium in their last match of the Costa Calida Supercup in Spain, coming from behind to win 2-1 and end the three-game tournament with a 100 per cent record.

Chelsea midfielder Leo Castledine had been introduced from the bench shortly after England’s 71st minute equaliser, before the Young Lions found a late winner and fellow Blue Samuel Rak-Sakyi came on to help preserve that lead during the closing stages.