Today on our official app, The 5th Stand, we will be showing our 2007 Carling Cup final victory over Arsenal in full from 3pm and, ahead of that rerun, we’ve cast our minds back to the story of how John Terry put his body on the line for the Chelsea cause – yet again!

After he remarkably recovered from a ruptured ankle just five days earlier, having been stretched off against Porto in a Champions League away tie, the skipper passed a fitness test and was able to lead the Blues out at Cardiff against the Gunners.

Yet, there was still a further twist in the tale for JT to come. The League Cup final was balanced at 1-1 with an hour played. Didier Drogba had scored from a finely judged Michael Ballack pass to cancel out Theo Walcott’s opener for the Gunners.

Terry then attacked a bouncing ball in the Arsenal six-yard box in an attempt to score with his head. He made contact with the swinging boot of Abou Diaby and was knocked clean out.

‘I remember the minutes I played and I remember the incident up to seconds before I headed the ball,’ recalls John. ‘I actually thought I was going to score and I am still disappointed I didn’t to be honest! But I don’t remember too much after that.

‘I just remember waking up in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I didn’t know where I was, I asked where and then what the score was, so they radioed through and found out we were winning. As we got to the hospital I said I am fine and I wanted to get back as soon as possible.’

That was to celebrate, not to play, but news that the captain was already back in the stadium and the iconic pictures of him with the trophy that soon followed, were an extra reason for fans to be pleased on top of the victory.

‘I went out to the celebrations that night but after that, I slept for a whole day with our doctor coming round to check I was okay, so it must have taken something out of me,’ he explained.

‘I didn’t watch the whole game back, but I have seen the goals and the celebrations and when it all kicked off between some of the players near the end.

‘I have seen my incident back many times when Diaby made contact and then checking I was okay. It ended well, I was fine and we won the trophy.’

- Watch the full game rerun from 3pm on the Chelsea app.