To mark the anniversary of the 1970 FA Cup final between Chelsea and Leeds, we are showing the game in full on The 5th Stand app from 3pm UK time, as well as providing coverage here in the style of our 2020 Match Centre, which you can follow below. Enjoy!
Read back as it happened...
120) Full-time: Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. And there we have it, it ends all square and for the first time since 1912, we need an FA Cup final replay to settle these two sides. What an incredible spectacle of football that was! Don’t forget, we will have full game available for you to watch on the 5th Stand app now.
119) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Save! Oh, so close to a Chelsea winner! Baldwin tees up Houseman who aims for the far corner but can only watch in agony as Sprake gets a fingertip to his shot and pushes past the post.
117) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Save! Great stop from Bonetti as he keeps out Lorimer’s effort, after the Leeds attacker had got beyond McCreadie to get in a low shot.
115) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Leeds are knocking on the door at the moment but strong defending from the Blues allow us to clear through Hinton and then Webb. Keep going, lads!
108) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Chance for Osgood! The striker gets around the back of the Leeds defence to reach a Houseman chip but he can only head wide. Was that the moment?
106) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. We are back underway for the final 15 minutes of this final, as Chelsea get the game restarted. Can the Blues find a winner or will this go all the way to a replay at Old Trafford?
105) Half-time: Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Still level pegging at the halfway stage…
104) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Leeds hit the crossbar. Phew, we got away with that one to remain level! On the stroke of half-time, the ball drops to Clarke who hammers the ball against the bar and away to safety.
102) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. The pitch is really starting to cut up now and have an impact on these heavy legs out there. Baldwin latches onto a knockdown in the Leeds box but the pitch holds the ball up and Charlton is able to stab away.
98) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Incredible defending from Webb! How did the Chelsea defender keep that one out?! Gray gets beyond Hinton and pulls the ball across the face of goal for Giles to strike and with Bonetti beaten it looks an almost certain goal. However, the outstretched leg of Webb is there to make a vital block on the line!
96) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Close! A lovely fashioned move from the Blues sees McCreadies centre cushioned into the path of big John Dempsey by Hutchinson but his effort is tipped over the bar by Sprake. So unlucky!
95) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. Shocking, truly shocking, challenge on Hollins for Giles. The Chelsea man is in some pain here as the referee lectures Giles. Still level pegging with tensions rising at Wembley.
91) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. We are underway in extra-time, with the Blues making a change as Marvellous Marvin Hinton replaces Chopper Harris. 30 minutes for us to search for a winner, come on Chelsea!
90) Full-time: Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. It ends all square here at Wembley and extra-time is required…
90) Chelsea 2 Leeds 2. A late chance for the Blues to win it! Hutchinson flicks the ball on looking for Dempsey, but he’s just beaten to it by a Leeds defender. The time is up but there is a late corner for the Blues. Is there chance to clinch it? The ball is headed out to Houseman and… oh unlucky! The midfielder has a go but flashes his effort wide. That must surely be it as extra-time looms.
86) GOAAAALLL! Hutchinson levels things up!!! How typical of one of the bravest players we’ve ever seen in a Chelsea shirt putting himself in gets on the end of a Hollins cross an flicks the ball into the net! Get in there! Chelsea 2 Leeds 2.
84) Goal for Leeds – Jones. Mick Jones drills the ball low into the corner to give Leeds the edge here at Wembley. Plenty of work for the Blues now…. Chelsea 1 Leeds 2.
81) Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. A good chance for the Blues at the other end! Houseman in search of his second but on this occasion, he drags his strike wide from just inside the area. COME ON CHELSEA!
79) Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. Crossbar! Wow, we got away with one there! Gray cuts inside and lashes one against the woodwork before it bounces away to safety. Phew!
74) Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. Close! Houseman chips over a dangerous centre from the Chelsea right which Baldwin flicks towards goal and somehow, Sprake keeps it out with Osgood ready to pounce from a yard out.
72) Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. Pingball in the Chelsea area but the danger is eventually averted, as Bonetti punches clear under pressure from Sniffer Clarke.
70) Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. Don Revie’s side are on top at the moment. Lorimer has another go from distance, but his effort is always rising and flies over the top.
63) Chelsea 1-1 Leeds. Jones goes down in the area under a Chelsea challenge but the referee rightly waves play on…!
61) Chelsea 1-1 Leeds. Gray skips past Webb yet again, as that battle continues to go on, but he can only drag his shot wide of the target. A let-off for the Blues there and you have to accept that Gray is giving a Webb a torrid time down that flank today.
59) Chelsea 1-1 Leeds. Our opponents continue to knock at the door, but the Blues keep holding firm. This time Giles has a pop from range but Bonetti watches the strike sail aimlessly over the top.
56) Chelsea 1-1 Leeds. Real end-to-end stuff here, as Leeds go down the other end and Jones forces Bonetti into yet another good stop.
54) Chelsea 1-1 Leeds. Oh so close! Hutchinson is denied twice in quick succession from close range by Sprake, before Osgood sees his attempt hacked off the line. Unlucky!
48) Chelsea 1-1 Leeds. Smart goalkeeping from Bonetti once again, as he gets down to smother a rasping drive from Gray early into this second half.
46) Back out for the second half here at Wembley, come on Chelsea!
45) Half-time: Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. An action-packed first 45 minutes ends all square, with Houseman cancelling out Charlton’s opener at Wembley.
43) Chelsea 1 Leeds 1. Tensions boiling over here at Wembley as we approach half-time, with Hutchinson and ‘bite yer legs’ Hunter coming together on halfway with plenty of pushing and shoving. The referee just calms things down at pitch-level. (
41) Get in there! Sprake won’t want to watch that one back as he - not for the first time in his career, it has to be said - lets in a shot that he really ought to have kept out. Not that the Blues will care, we are back on level terms!
41) GOAAALLL! Houseman scores for Chelsea! It’s all square now as the midfielder squeezes the ball under the body of Sprake and into the net. COME ON!
39) Chelsea 0-1 Leeds. The Blues are applying the pressure as we approach half-time, this time it is Cooke who has a go but his effort sails over the bar.
38) Chelsea 0 Leeds 1. Off the line! How unlucky! The ball drops to the feet of Osgood inside the Leeds area, he drills the ball beyond the goalkeeper and towards goal but somehow, Jack Charlton keeps it out with a fantastic block on the line.
35) Chelsea 0 Leeds 1. More good goalkeeping from Bonetti, as the Cat punches clear ahead of Jones to ensure a Leeds attack breaks down as we enter the final 10 minutes of this first half.
32) Chelsea 0 Leeds 1. A nice break from Dave Sexton’s Chelsea just now, as Houseman sends Hutchinson racing away down the right but his cross searching for the unmarked Osgood in the box is collected by Sprake in the Leeds goal.
28) Chelsea 0-1 Leeds. Better from the Blues! Osgood holds the ball up well despite the difficulties of this Wembley surface, before switching right to Baldwin to cross. His centre is met by the head of Houseman but he can only flash wide of the target.
24) Chelsea 0-1 Leeds. The Yorkshiremen really have their tails up at the moment following that opening goal. This time Jones is allowed to carry the ball inside but luckily he fires wide from distance.
20) Goal for Leeds – Charlton. The deadlock is broken in this FA Cup final, as Charlton nods home from a corner. The defender got to the ball ahead of Bonetti and neither Harris nor Hollins were able to clear, as it trickles over the line. Surely the depreciation of this Wembley pitch had a factor in that goal, with the ball just dropping with no bounce to the bemusement of the Chelsea pair on the line. Work to be done now.
17) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. Hutchinson connects with a Cooke cross from the right but he can’t direct his header on target and it is wide of the mark.
15) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. Close! Much better from Chelsea, as Houseman sends over a dangerous cross looking for Baldwin that needs Madeley to head behind for a corner in front of his own goal. Come on you Blues, make this one count!
14) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. Save! Bonetti tips a typically fierce drive from Lorimer over the bar for a Leeds corner, after the Blues were caught in possession by Madeley. Great stop to deny the man with arguably the hardest shot in football!
11) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. End-to-end stuff here! First, Bonetti punches a ball clear before Lorimer can attack it, then Chelsea counter at Leeds through Baldwin and Osgood, before the latter is crowded out. Osgood, who has scored in every round up to the final, has a little word with Paul Madeley, to let him know just what he thought of the defender’s tackle there!
10) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. Excellent goalkeeping from Bonetti there, in his true trademark style! The Chelsea goalkeeper takes a high cross despite plenty of bodies near him, and then grasps the loose ball before Lorimer could pounce. Is there a better goalkeeper in world football than the ‘Cat’ at racing off his line to capture crosses? Probably not.
6) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. McCreadie is in the right place at the right time for Chelsea, stopping an effort from Giles from the edge of the area after the Irishman had latched onto a long throw from the left. End-to-end stuff here at Wembley in these opening exchanges.
2) Chelsea 0-0 Leeds. Good early pressure from the Blues! Cooke dances past his marker and slips the ball inside the full-back looking for Houseman, but his pass is just too long for the midfielder and goes behind for a goal-kick.
1) Kick-off. Leeds get this FA Cup final underway at Wembley. COME ON CHELSEA!
The players emerge from the tunnel and onto the Wembley turf, which isn't looking its best today it has to be said. Chelsea head out wearing a fantastic-looking red tracksuit top, with Leeds led out by Don Revie and captain Billy Bremner.
No place for Hudson
That confirms what we expected, with Alan Hudson out of today’s final having been unable to recover from injury in time. Tommy Baldwin will line up on the right flank for the Blues, with Cooke on the left and Peter Houseman shifted inside and deployed alongside John Hollins in the middle of midfield.
The Chelsea team news
The team news is in and here is the side that Dave Sexton has selected for today’s FA Cup final. Bonetti; Webb, Dempsey, Harris, McCreadie; Baldwin, Hollins, Houseman, Cooke; Hutchinson, Osgood. Sub: Hinton.
A good time to face Leeds?
Don Revie’s side have had a real run of fixtures leading up to this one, with a European Cup tie with Celtic being followed up with a league game a day later in the capital against West Ham. A home clash with Burnley just a few days ago preceded today’s final, so might this be a good opportunity for Chelsea?
Pre-match Chelsea chat...
Charlie Cooke has been on media duties for the Blues ahead of kick-off and he has had some choice words for today’s opponents from Yorkshire.
‘We’ll have to cash in on their mistakes,' said Cooke. 'They’re bound to make the odd vital one. We’ll come down on them, and make them pay.’
Cup final day!
What a mouth-watering prospect this FA Cup final is: King’s Road Chelsea vs the Yorkshire grit of Leeds, Division One’s great showmen taking on last season’s league champions, in a Wembley showpiece carried live by satellite to millions of viewers worldwide. Stay tuned for all the build-up and match coverage!