In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, reports indicate the Blues are reassessing defensive transfer targets for January, Lyon reaffirm their commitment to keep their star striker and Olivier Giroud edges closer to a move to Italy.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
Chelsea reportedly cool interest in Ake
The Evening Standard reports Chelsea are reassessing defensive transfer targets this month with questions raised about the suitability of re-signing Nathan Ake from Bournemouth.
The Blues have been linked with a move to bring the 24-year-old back to Stamford Bridge, two-and-a-half years after he moved to the south coast on a permanent basis.
Reports indicated a buy-back clause was included in the deal with Bournemouth and Chelsea boss Frank Lampard has been weighing up the idea of exercising the option.
‘Lampard was at Chelsea as a player when Ake came through the ranks following his arrival from Feyenoord as a teenager in 2011 and has had the Dutchman extensively scouted since the season started,’ states the report.
‘Standard Sport understands those reports have raised concerns about Ake’s suitability for the Blues with Lampard harbouring doubts over whether he is the right fit for the higher defensive line he prefers to play with.
‘Bournemouth have lost nine of their last 11 Premier League matches and have slipped into the relegation zone. Ake started six of those matches including Sunday’s 3-0 home defeat to Watford.
‘It remains possible Chelsea could yet pursue a deal for Ake given the simplicity of doing so in a typically fraught January market but the fact they are actively exploring other options is further evidence of their uncertainty over his ability.’
Lyon rule out Dembele sale this month
Lyon president Jean-Michel Aulas has ruled out selling Moussa Dembele in the January transfer window, the Daily Mail reports.
It was reported earlier this month that Chelsea had tabled an offer for the 23-year-old striker, which was rejected by the French club.
And speaking to French broacasters RMC, Aulas indicated he will not be entertaining any offer this month for the former Fulham and Celtic player.
‘We have not changed our minds. We already made this issue clear in August,’ he said.
‘Moussa is an excellent player. A player who we need.
‘We are taking explicit measures in our recruitment to not bring someone in who will compete for his position. It is not a question of money. Moussa will be with us.’
Giroud set for Inter medical
According to the Daily Mail, Chelsea and Inter Milan are edging closer to a deal for Olivier Giroud with the France striker set to undergo a medical at the Italian club this weekend.
The 33-year-old is reported to have already agreed personal terms with Inter and a deal between the two clubs also appears to be close.
‘The clubs were at odds over the fee for Giroud but they now look to have found an agreement for a player whose contract expires this summer and has made just three starts and seven club appearances all season,’ says the report.
‘Blues boss Frank Lampard has admitted he will be allowed to leave the club this month should he find an adequate replacement.’