In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, there are reports of a proposal by the Blues to allow nine substitutes on the bench for Premier League games and Danny Ings talks about the moment which made him realise he was playing at a higher level.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
Increase in subs on bench proposed
According to the Daily Mail, Chelsea have submitted a formal proposal to the Premier League to increase the maximum number of substitutes permitted on the bench from seven to nine for the remainder of the season.
The Mail’s report suggests the proposal for the temporary measure was made due to concerns about the high risk of player injuries following the lengthy stoppage resulting from the coronavirus pandemic.
‘The proposal will be discussed by the clubs at this Thursday's shareholders meeting with a vote on the issue to take place the following week on 11 June,’ states the report.
‘Chelsea's request to increase the number of substitute options available to managers stems from concerns about the greater risk of injuries following a lengthy break and the prospect of cramming nine matches into a six-week period.
‘If accepted by the other clubs the proposal would not necessarily lead to an increase in the number of substitutes who can participate in a Premier League game, although that is also being considered after the international rule making body IFAB amended the game's laws last month to temporarily permit five changes.’
Schurrle goal was eye-opener for Ings
Danny Ings has told Sky Sports that Andre Schurrle’s stunning goal at Burnley in August 2014 was a ‘wow’ moment which made him realise the quality of the Premier League.
After earning promotion from the Championship, Ings and Burnley received a baptism of fire when they hosted the Blues on the opening day of the 2014/15 season.
They took a surprise lead after 14 minutes at Turf Moor but found themselves behind just seven minutes later as Diego Costa levelled before a brilliant move culminated in Cesc Fabregas’ no-look pass which set up Schurrle for our second goal.
‘When I got promoted with Burnley our first game was against Chelsea and I was being marked by John Terry,’ said the forward who now plays for Southampton.
‘It was a real 'welcome to the Premier League' moment. And I remember the goal they scored that night when Andre Schurrle made the run and Cesc Fabregas made the pass first time.
‘It was a 'wow' moment and opened my eyes to the Premier League.’
Chelsea leading race to sign Telles?
According to the Sun, Chelsea are now front-runners to sign Porto full-back Alex Telles.
Earlier reports suggested the 27-year-old was likely to join Paris Saint-Germain but it is now suggested he could move to the Premier League instead.
‘Chelsea are on course to beat French giants Paris St Germain in the battle to sign Porto defender Alex Telles, reports claim,’ states the daily.
‘Telles, who's had a great season so far for Porto, netting 10 times in 40 appearances, is seen as an ideal choice for Chelsea at left-back.
‘The 27-year-old, whose attacking talents have drawn the attention of Europe's top sides, also provided nine assists across all competitions.
‘Porto could be ready to cash in on the Brazilian this summer with his contract ending in 2021. The Portuguese club had hoped to extend Telles’ current deal, but talks hit a brick wall with Porto refusing to meet his £5.3million per season pay demand.’