In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, Emerson’s agent claims a couple of big Serie A sides are keeping a close eye on the full-back, Chelsea are being linked with Albania international Marash Kumbulla and Andreas Christensen could be ready to play against Tottenham this weekend after becoming the latest Chelsea player to get a protective mask.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
Emerson wanted by Italian giants
According to Goal.com, the agent of Emerson has said Serie A front-runners Inter Milan and Juventus are interested in signing the Chelsea full-back this summer but have yet to make an official bid for the Italy international.
There has been plenty of speculation about the future of the defender, who last played for the Blues in our 2-2 draw with Arsenal in January, but his agent, Luis Fernando Garcia, indicates there is no lack of interest in the 25-year-old back in Italy.
‘We know very well about Juventus’ interest but also about Inter. So far there has been no talk of a transfer with Chelsea, nor has there been any official offer,’ he said to Juvenews.eu.
Emerson has two-and-a-half-years left on his contract with the Blues and Garcia added a decision on where he will play next season will only be made at the end of the current campaign.
‘I believe that until May there will be no official offers from the two clubs. In the summer we will decide what to do.’
Blues watch Verona defender
Citing a report from Italy, Sport Witness indicates Chelsea have taken an interest in Hellas Verona centre-back Marash Kumbulla.
The 20-year-old Albania international has been a fixture in defence this season for the Serie A club, starting in 18 of their 24 games, and helping them to move up to sixth in the table after an unbeaten run of nine matches.
The youngster’s form has drawn interest from Everton, Manchester United and Manchester City with Chelsea also reportedly watching Kumbulla on several occasions.
‘Corriere dello Sport believe Everton and Frank Lampard’s side have now come forward to “inform themselves” on the player’s situation,’ adds the report.
‘That’s an extra step from just sending scouts to watch how he fares against various opposition, and it suggests both are intrigued enough with what they’ve seen to add him to their list of targets for the summer.
‘As things stand, the request would be €30m from Hellas Verona, but if he continues to play the way he has, that could change and increase before the end of the campaign.’
Christensen to join masked men?
According to The Athletic, Andreas Christensen should be ready to face Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday after it emerged he will become the latest Chelsea player to see action on the pitch while wearing a protective mask.
The Danish defender had his nose broken after he was elbowed in the face by Anthony Martial in Monday’s Premier League match against Manchester United and he reportedly travelled to Milan to see a specialist on Wednesday to have a special mask fitted so he will be able to play matches.
‘It is likely he was sent to the same orthopaedic centre, Ortholabsport, as Ramires in 2014 after the Brazilian got elbowed in the nose during a Champions League game against Galatasaray,’ stated the report.
‘Christensen is understood to have trained with the mask on for the first time on Thursday as coach Frank Lampard prepares his side for a crucial London derby at the weekend.’
If the Dane does play in the mask, he will join the likes of Petr Cech, Paulo Ferreira, John Terry, Gary Cahill, Cesar Azplicueta, Nemanja Matic, Ramires, Cesc Fabregas, Demba Ba, Fernando Torres, Diego Costa and Pedro, who have all donned masks while playing for the Blues.