In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, Joe Cole describes the 1-0 win at Ajax as Chelsea’s best performance of the season so far, Ajax’s Quincy Promes has no complaints about his effort against the Blues which was ruled out by VAR and experienced scout Piet de Visser believes Chelsea should look to bring Nathan Ake back from Bournemouth.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
Cole lauds Blues after win in Amsterdam
Appearing on BT Sport, Joe Cole described Chelsea's 1-0 away win over Ajax as the team’s 'best performance' so far under his former team-mate Frank Lampard.
Cole, who now works as a coach in our Academy, was a pundit for the Champions League match and was impressed with what he saw of the Blues as we secured a crucial victory in the Netherlands.
'It was a top-class performance and certainly Frank's best performance since he took over,' said Cole, as reported by the Daily Mail.
'From being in and around the club it just feels right, Players who may have felt pushed aside or unsure of their future, they are now producing big moments for the club and it is credit to Frank and his staff. It is really looking good at Chelsea.
'It seems that every game they play they get better and better. For a team like Ajax, not many teams go there, control possession and keep the ball as well as [Chelsea] did.
'They were excellent tonight.'
No complaints from Promes on disallowed goal
According to the official UEFA website, Ajax forward Quincy Promes has no complaints about the decision to disallow his first-half effort against Chelsea on Wednesday.
The 27-year-old appeared to have given the home side the lead late in the first half when he poked the ball in from close range, but the effort was ruled out for offside after a lengthy VAR review.
While the offside call was very tight, Promes said he had no argument about the decision.
‘I thought I had made my run at the right time but the VAR is there to make sure in this kind of situation, so we just have to accept the decision,’ said the Netherland international player.
Promes appeared more disappointed with the general display of his team as they dropped points in Group H for the first time.
‘We were sloppy on the ball and had difficulty in retaining possession for long,’ he said. ‘We didn't really create too many chances. And, of course, it was extra painful to concede so late in the game.’
Scout wants Blues to re-sign Ake
According to a number of media outlets including Sky Sports, experienced Dutch scout Piet de Visser has urged Chelsea to re-sign Nathan Ake from Bournemouth
The 85-year-old, who has been involved with football for the past seven decades, told Dutch newspaper De Volkskrant the Netherlands international defender would be a good addition to Frank Lampard’s squad. The Blues however currently have a transfer ban.
‘Ake should have played for Chelsea by now. He's so good,’ said De Visser.
‘How often does he not score with his head? He has timing and insight. I hope they buy him back. That boy is perfect for them and he has played with Lampard.’
Ake joined the Blues as a 16-year-old in 2011 and was the club’s Young Player of the Year in 2012/13. He played 17 senior games for the Blues before joining Bournemouth in the summer of 2017.