In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, Frank Lampard says he needs more competition in creative areas, two Premier League clubs express an interest in recently-departed Napoli boss Carlo Ancelotti, and there is good news for Jake Clarke-Salter, who is spending the season on loan at Birmingham.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
Adding firepower in January?
Speaking in the wake of our victory over Lille, Frank Lampard identified an area in which the Blues could strengthen in the January transfer window.
BBC Sport reports the boss is looking to sign a player who can help replace the goalscoring and creativity of Eden Hazard, our former attacker who left for Real Madrid in the summer.
‘There will be discussions about where we can strengthen,’ said Lampard.
‘The transfer window will be a bit fluid. It is quite clear in the summer we lost Eden Hazard who has been a huge part of scoring and creating for us in the last few seasons. We need more competition in those creative areas.’
Ancelotti linked with Toffees
Carlo Ancelotti was sacked by Napoli last night after helping them advance to the Champions League knockout stages, and our former boss has already been linked with a return to the Premier League.
The Daily Mirror, quoting Sky Sports sources, say Everton are set to begin talks with Ancelotti in the coming days, while the experienced Italian is believed to be one of up to 10 candidates Arsenal are looking to interview as they search for a permanent replacement for Unai Emery, who was sacked last month.
The Toffees are trying to get in ahead of the Gunners by setting up talks with Ancelotti this week, the report adds. Yesterday Frank Lampard paid tribute to his former boss.
‘I have huge respect for him, I am very sorry for him," Lampard said.
‘I know it was a tough job for him lately. I saw his interview before the game and I thought it was a very typically classy interview in what seemed a very tough time for him. He always handles himself brilliantly. I think he can work anywhere in the world at the top level, of course.’
Clarke-Salter handed boost
Jake Clarke-Salter, the 22-year-old defender on loan at Birmingham, has received good news after dislocating his shoulder in the Blues’ 3-2 win at Reading on Saturday.
His manager Pep Clotet has revealed he won’t be needing surgery which will significantly shorten the time he will be out, reports the Birmingham Mail.
‘He was taken to hospital, the shoulder was put back in place, our medical team spoke to Chelsea’s medical team and they all agreed they are going with a conservative treatment on him - so no surgery because there is no damage on the bones,’ Clotet said.
‘We are working on his ligaments so we are expecting a return to full fitness in two to three weeks. Three weeks would be an achievement.
‘I have spoken to Jake as well, he is focused, already working on it. The important thing is there was no big damage, it just popped out, popped in after in the hospital so good news.’