In our look at the latest Chelsea-related news stories from the media, Reece James speaks out on social media after his eventful full debut for England.
These stories are samples pulled from external media sources. They do not represent the views or position of Chelsea Football Club.
James takes responsibility for dismissal
Reece James has said in an Instagram post that he takes full responsibility for his actions which led to his red card on his England debut on Wednesday and vowed to learn from the experience.
The Chelsea full-back was one of England’s few shining lights in a 1-0 loss to Denmark in the Nations League but he finished the game on a sour note when he was dismissed for going too far in his criticism of the referee.
The 20-year-old later shared his thoughts on social media, suggesting he had been caught up in the heat of the moment.
‘Tonight’s game was full of emotion, desire and hunger. Proud to have made my full senior debut in such a testing game,’ he said.
‘I take full responsibility for the red card after the final whistle. Moments like this will make me stronger, I’ll continue to put in 100% day in day out to keep improving!
‘Thank you for your continued support, I love you all!’
Speaking to TalkSport, England manager Gareth Southgate expressed his disappointment at the late dismissal but said the youngster had made a good impression with his performance.
‘I thought he was absolutely outstanding, defensively and in an attacking sense. It should be a debut that he’s extremely proud of,’ said Southgate,
‘He’s ended up with a red card which is totally avoidable. I understand his frustrations, we all understand his frustrations, but you can’t cross that line.’
Dybala linked with Blues
According to the Evening Standard, a report in Italy has suggested Chelsea are considering a move for Juventus star Paulo Dybala in an upcoming transfer window after missing out on Inter Milan’s Lautaro Martinez earlier this year.
The 26-year-old saw a move to Tottenham Hotspur fall through over a year ago but Italian media outlet Tutto Mecato said the Argentina international has yet to reach agreement to extend his contract with Juventus beyond 2022 and could still be considering a move to London.
‘Chelsea are thinking of Dybala: it is a firm idea being examined by the English club who are studying the situation regarding his renewal,’ stated the report.
‘Chelsea tried for Lautaro Martinez in the summer, but the Nerazzurri striker declined because he would only leave for Barcelona or Real Madrid. And now the Blues are still looking to Italy with eyes on Dybala's situation for next season.’
AVB says Chelsea made him more flexible
In a YouTube interview with Copa90, Andre Villas-Boas has admitted he became less strict as a manager after his short tenure at Stamford Bridge.
In a video feature to promote the launch of FIFA 21, the Portuguese tactician appeared along with Zinedine Zidane, Brendan Rodgers, Antonio Conte and Chris Wilder to discuss the finer aspects of management.
Asked about his approach to being a manager, AVB admitted he had learnt from being too rigid on tactics during his nine months in charge of the Blues.
‘I was very, very strict with the method in the way of playing,’ said the 42-year-old, who now manages Ligue 1 side Marseille.
‘My experience in Chelsea made me adapt a little bit more, being a bit more flexible and this has helped me a lot.’
Villas-Boas also spoke of his regret at failing to complete the signing of Willian when he was in charge of Tottenham Hotspur as the Brazilian opted instead to join Chelsea.
‘I don’t think Daniel Levy won’t appreciate it too much but we had Willian in our office, watching a Champions League game together before he leaves the room and signs for Chelsea that night,’ he added.