Chelsea Women’s second pre-season friendly ended with a 5-0 defeat to Bayern Munich at Stade Michel Bendichou in the blistering heat.

Three unanswered goals before the break left the Blues with a task ahead of us. On top of that two more goals followed in the second half and the Blues were unable to turn possession into shots on target.

Bayern Munich’s first goal came early on from forward Lineth Beerensteyn, the second followed shortly when Millie Bright got the final touch as the ball crossed the line. Two soon became three when Jovana Damnjanovic finished from close-range.

Beerensteyn netted the two second-half goals meaning the Dutch midfielder took the match ball back to Munich with her.

After kicking-off our pre-season campaign with a 5-2 loss to Montpellier, winning the Women’s French Cup was already out of reach. And although we will not head back to England with a win under our belt, Emma Hayes and her side will have a lot of positives to take away from the two losses.

The Chelsea boss made changes to her starting XI from Tuesday's match. Carly Telford began in goal, Millie Bright and Magdalena Eriksson swapped in for Anita Asante and Deanna Cooper, while Maren Mjelde came into midfield for Drew Spence.

Guro Reiten, who scored her first Chelsea goal against Montpellier on Tuesday, started on the bench with Fran Kirby coming in and sitting at the top of the diamond. Ramona Bachmann started up top instead of Adelina Engman.

Our opponents also played two days ago in the Women’s French Cup against Paris Saint-Germain which ended in a 2-1 defeat. Bayern have played four pre-season friendlies before meeting us, which included a 1-0 victory over fellow WSL club Arsenal at the Emirates Stadium. We were their final test ahead of their domestic season starting.

We met the German team in the 2017/ 18 season at the round of 32 stage in the Champions League and the Blues progressed to the final 16 with Kirby’s superb away goal proving to be the difference.

Ali Riley, a fans’ favourite who departed from Chelsea after the World Cup, was named in Bayern’s starting line-up and operated at left-back.

The contest began evenly with both sides having an equal amount of possession. The first clear-cut chance went to Bayern Munich after 13 minutes and that resulted in a goal.

Linda Dallmann powered ahead with pace from midfield and chipped Telford who was high off of her line. The German’s clever effort bounced off the crossbar, but Bayern’s Beerensteyn was loitering and pounced on the ball to ensure it crossed the line.

The early goal gave our opponents confidence going forward and Chelsea struggled to get a grip on the game. Dallmann appeared to be causing the biggest problem for the Blues and after a short water break, Bayern doubled their lead on 28 minutes.

Dallmann played a tidy pass through to Gwinn who made a diagonal run into the box from the right wing. The 20-year-old nipped past the onrushing Telford to finish on the angle, but Bright got the final touch.

Towards the later stages of the first half, the Blues rarely found ourselves out of our own half and Bayern’s continuous pressure soon got too much for our defence to handle.

The Germans went into the interval 3-0 up and it was Dallmann who was at the heart of the attack. The no.10 dribbled past Bright and Thorisdottir and fed Damnjanovic who fired in from close-range.

Chelsea were not able to able to make the most of a couple promising counter-attacking opportunities and failed to have any shots on goal in the first 45 minutes. Therefore, Hayes shuffled her pack and brought on Reiten in replacement of Sophie Ingle and Spence came on for Ji So-Yun.

On 51 minutes the Germans extended their lead, when Dallmann’s intelligent ball squeezed in between Eriksson and Bright to Beerensteyn who fired out of Telford's reach.

With half-hour left to play the Blues went close to pulling a goal back. Kirby powered down the centre of the pitch and unselfishly laid it off to Bethany England who was to the right of her, and the no.9’s shot looked as though it was making its way into the back of the net, but drifted just wide.

Further changes were made with just over 20 minutes left on the clock. Asante, Cooper and Engman came on for Carter, Kirby and England. Chelsea academy player Charlotte Fleming had more taste of first team action and replaced Mjelde in right midfield.

Beerensteyn hit her third of the day when Gwinn spotted and delivered the ball to the no.6 who headed freely home after not being picked up by our back-line.

The Blues showed the odd moment of hope before the end and launched bodies forward, but time ran out and we had nothing to show for it unfortunately.

We next travel to Tel-Aviv to face the Israeli women’s national team as part of our preparations for our forthcoming Super League season. The match will take place on 20 August at Ha-Moshava Stadium and is being sponsored by Chelsea’s owner Roman Abramovich and the Israeli FA.

Chelsea (4-4-2) Telford; Thorisdottir, Bright (c), Ingle (Reiten 45), Carter (Asante 70), England (Cooper 70), Ji (Spence 45), Kirby (Engman 70), Eriksson, Mjelde (Fleming 70), Bachmann.

Unused subs: Berger, Orman.