Replay heroes

Chelsea’s FA Cup clash against Norwich City at Stamford Bridge this week is our first cup replay since April 2013.

There is a sense of drama and excitement about cup replays as clubs and their players are given a clean slate and a chance to make amends or make their mark against opponents who may have had the better of them in the initial game.

Over the years, there have been a number of Blues who have taken full advantage of their second opportunities in domestic and European games to make a big impression on the Chelsea faithful.

Peter Osgood

Workington, League Cup quarter-final, December 1964

Having come from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Chelsea in a League Cup quarter-final clash, Workington continued to frustrate the Blues in the replay at Stamford Bridge until a late brace from 17-year-old newcomer Peter Osgood ended their dreams. On his Blues debut, the future club legend broke the deadlock against the Division Three side after 82 minutes and notched his second two minutes later to secure a 2-0 win. It was Osgood’s only senior appearance that season but his heroics proved crucial as we went on to lift the trophy.

David Webb

Leeds United, FA Cup final replay, April 1970

The most important replay goal in the club’s history secured our first-ever FA Cup triumph against Leeds United in the 1970 final. Playing at right-back, David Webb had been given a torrid time by Whites winger Eddie Gray in the initial 2-2 draw at Wembley, but he made amends in the replay at Old Trafford as he got his head to Ian Hutchinson’s long throw-in during extra-time to net what proved to be the winning goal in our 2-1 victory.

John Dempsey

Real Madrid, Cup Winners’ Cup final replay, May 1971

A year after winning the FA Cup for the first time, we lifted the Cup Winners’ Cup after another replay victory in Athens. Ignacio Zoco had pounced on a mis-kick by John Dempsey to level the score for Real Madrid in the final minute of the first match but the Irish defender atoned for the error in the replay, thumping in a fierce volley after 33 minutes to give the Blues the lead. Peter Osgood added a second and although Real pulled one back in the second half, it was not enough to prevent us from lifting our first European honour.

Mickey Thomas

Sheffield Wednesday, League Cup quarter-final 2nd replay, February 1985

It took three games to settle our League Cup semi-final clash against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1984/85 season after a 1-1 draw at the Bridge was followed by a memorable 4-4 draw at Hillsborough. The second replay was back at the Bridge and deadlocked at 1-1 in the final minute when an outswinging corner from the left by Paul Canoville found an unmarked Mickey Thomas, whose header from 15 yards went through a crowd of players and into the net for the winning goal.

Frank Leboeuf

Leicester City, FA Cup 5th round replay, February 1997

Chelsea had dominated the FA Cup fifth round replay against Leicester without reward when we were awarded a penalty, after Erland Johnsen had tumbled in the Foxes’ box. While the awarding of the spot kick was questioned, the pressure on Frank Leboeuf was tremendous as he tried to beat Kasey Keller, who had repelled everything from the Blues for nearly two hours. But the Frenchman kept his composure, sending the American keeper the wrong way from the spot for the only goal of the game.

John Terry

West Ham, FA Cup 4th round replay, February 2002

John Terry had inadvertently given West Ham the lead in our fourth-round replay at Upton Park by turning Jermain Defoe’s attempt into his own net but the centre-back would also have the final say in a pulsating London derby. With the score tied at 2-2 and extra-time looming, David James made an excellent save to keep out Mario Stanic’s header but the Hammers keeper was helpless when Terry found himself in a similar position shortly afterwards and nodded the ball in off the upright.

Andriy Shevchenko and Shaun Wright-Phillips

Tottenham Hotspur, quarter-final replay, March 2007

Chelsea had come from two goals down to draw 3-3 with Tottenham Hotspur at the Bridge, and thanks to a pair of brilliant finishes, finished off our London rivals at White Hart Lane. Andriy Shevchenko broke the deadlock after 55 minutes, with an exquisite left-footed curler from the right side of the box after he had been played in by Shaun Wright-Phillips, and the English winger got on the scoresheet himself six minutes later, receiving a knockdown from Didier Drogba on the left of the box and driving the ball across the Spurs keeper and into the far corner of the net in our 2-1 victory.

Demba Ba

Manchester United, quarter-final replay, April 2013

The Blues had again come from two goals down to draw 2-2 with Manchester United in our FA Cup quarter-final back in 2012/13, forcing a replay on a Monday afternoon at Stamford Bridge which would be settled by two spectacular moments. First, Demba Ba broke the deadlock after 49 minutes when he stretched to reach Juan Mata’s lofted pass into the box and diverted the ball over David De Gea into the opposite corner. Then Petr Cech pulled off a stunning save to keep out Javier Hernandez’s close ranger header, sending the Blues through to the semi-finals for the sixth time in eight seasons.